Doukhobor Genealogy Website  
 

Blagodatnoye Cemetery - Sheho District, Saskatchewan

 

The following is an overview of the Blagodatnoye Doukhobor Cemetery located 1/2 mile south of Sheho, Saskatchewan. Rural Municipality of Insinger No. 275. Land location: NW 3-30-9 West of Second. Latitude: 5134.319. Longitude: 10312.222. Compiled May 22, 2006 by Jonathan J. Kalmakoff with Fred S. Petroff. 

 


 

View of the cemetery site from the north facing south. It is marked by a bluff of trees.

 

Historical Background

 

Blagodatnoye Cemetery was established in 1909 by the Doukhobors of the Blagodatnoye farm settlement near Sheho. After the farm was sold in 1925, the cemetery ceased to be actively used. Over the years, it has become badly overgrown. The cemetery is privately owned. 

 

Layout

 

The cemetery is approximately a tenth of an acre in size. It contains a single interment marked by a rock pile. It is located amidst a bluff of trees on the edge of a cultivated field. 

 

Driving Directions

 

To access the cemetery, travel east from Sheho on Highway No. 16 for 1/4 mile (.4 km). Turn south into the farmyard. The cemetery is approximately 1/2 mile (.8 km) south of the farmyard. This cemetery is on private property and permission to access should be obtained by the owners.

 

Burial

 

Surname   Name   Birth Date   Death Date   Comments
                 
Planidin   Polly S.   1885   1909         Nee Makaroff - No Marker

 


 

The single burial is marked by an iron stake amidst the dense scrub and brush.


 

Notes

 

Special thanks to Bill Hoffman and Dennis Zoski for assisting in locating the cemetery and to Nora Veregin for identifying the interment. This is a work in progress. If readers have any comments, corrections or additions with respect to the Blagodatnoye Cemetery, please contact Jonathan J. Kalmakoff.