Nikolayevka Cemetery Site - Togo District, Saskatchewan
Doukhobor Genealogy Website  
 

Nikolayevka Cemetery Site - Togo District, Saskatchewan

 

The following is an overview of the Nikolayevka Doukhobor Cemetery site located 8 miles west of Togo, Saskatchewan. Rural Municipality of Cote No. 271. Land location: SW3-28-31 West of First. Latitude: 5123.594. Longitude: 10146.952. Compiled August 13, 2005 by Jonathan J. Kalmakoff with Ron Tetoff.

 


 

View of cemetery site from the road.  It is marked by the rise to the right of the round bale.

 

Historical Background

 

Nikolayevka Cemetery was established in 1899 by the Doukhobors of Nikolayevka village near Togo. After the abandonment of the village in 1904, the cemetery ceased to be actively used. In the 1950's, the cemetery site was destroyed. It is privately owned.

 

Layout

 

According to tradition, the cemetery was approximately a tenth of an acre in size. The cemetery contained 5-10 interments in one or more rows facing east-west. The graves were unmarked, however, many of the mounds were clearly visible. The cemetery was marked by a row of large rocks. When the site was cleared in the 1950's, all traces of the cemetery were removed. Today, the only reference point is a slight rise in the field along the side of the road.  

 

Driving Directions

 

To access the cemetery site from Kamsack, travel south on Highway No. 8 for 11 miles (17.7 km). Turn east on Secondary Route No. 357 and continue for 4 miles (6.2 km). Then turn south on the gravel road for 3/4 mile (1.2 km). To access the cemetery site from Togo, travel west on Secondary Route No. 357 for 8 miles (12.9 km). Then turn south on the gravel road for 3/4 mile (1.2 km). The cemetery site is on the east side of the road allowance. The cemetery site is on private property and permission to access should be obtained by the owners.

 

Burials

 

There is no burial register, cemetery plot map, death certificates, grave markers or other records for the Nikolayevka Cemetery site. The following families resided in Nikolayevka village and may have members buried in the Nikolayevka Cemetery site: Chevildaeff, Evdokimoff, Konkin, Lebedeff, Pereversoff, Stuchnoff.

 

View of the Nikolayevka village site a 1/4 mile south of the cemetery site. The cemetery site

is located immediately right of the granaries in the distance.

 


 

Notes

 

This is a work in progress. If readers have any comments, corrections or additions with respect to the Nikolayevka Cemetery site, please contact Jonathan J. Kalmakoff.