Novoye Cemetery - Canora District, Saskatchewan
The following is a transcription of the Novoye Doukhobor Cemetery located 7 miles north-east of Canora, Saskatchewan. Rural Municipality of Keys No. 303. Land location: NE 14-31-3 West of Second. Latitude: 51°39.456. Longitude: 102°19.180. Transcribed by Jonathan J. Kalmakoff with Fred S. Petroff on May 1, 2005.
Novoye Cemetery was established in 1905 by the Doukhobors of Novoye village near Canora. After the abandonment of the village in 1920, the cemetery continued to be used by local Doukhobors until the 1940's. It is no longer in active use and is somewhat overgrown. It is privately owned.
The cemetery is approximately half an acre in size and is enclosed by a wire fence. There is no gate. There is scrub and brush throughout. The cemetery contains 28 known interments in a single section. The graves are unmarked, save for a single commemorative plaque.
To access the cemetery, travel north from Canora on Highway No. 9 for two miles (3.2 km). Then turn east and continue on the gravel road for 5 miles (8.1 km). Turn south on the gravel road and continue for 1/4 mile (.6 km). You will come to a farmyard, after which, continue on the dirt road as it bends west for approximately 1/4 mile (.5 km). The road leads to a cattle feedlot and ends in front of a gate. The cemetery is 25 yards (23 m) south of the gate. This cemetery is on private property and permission to access should be obtained by the owners.
Various sources of data have been used in compiling this information including: marker transcriptions, death certificates and oral tradition. Special thanks to John Nechvolodoff for assisting in identifying additional interments. This is a work in progress. If readers have any comments, corrections or additions with respect to Novoye Cemetery, please contact Jonathan J. Kalmakoff.