Doukhobor Genealogy Website  

The Doukhobor Gazetteer - Search Details

 

Otradnoye

District: Veregin
Province: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
 
In 1899, Doukhobors from Elizavetpol, Russia established a village near the Whitesand River in the present Veregin district of Saskatchewan. Having endured great persecution in Russia, they named it Poterpevshiye (Потерпевшие) meaning “those who have suffered” or “victims” in Russian. When Doukhobor leader Peter "Lordly" Verigin arrived in Canada from exile in 1902, it was renamed Otradnoye (Отрадное) meaning “joyful” or “delightful” in Russian to reflect his people’s joy at having him once more among them. The village had a gristmill and flax press. It was the headquarters of the CCUB from 1902-1905. A stately residence was built there in 1902 for Peter "Lordly" Verigin. The village was abandoned by 1918 as villagers relocated to British Columbia. (1905 pop. 199) [[NE/SE27-31-1-W2]
 

 

 

 
Search Again