Doukhobor Genealogy Website  

The Doukhobor Gazetteer - Search Details

 

Ninotsminda

District: Ninotsminda
Province: Samtskhe-Javakheti
Country: Georgia
 
In 1842, Doukhobor exiles established the village of Bogdanovka (Богдановка) near Lake Khanchali in the Akhalkalaki district of Tiflis province, Russia (present-day Ninotsminda district, Samtskhe-Javakheti region, Georgia). It was named after the village of Bogdanovka in Tavria from whence they came. By the early 20th century, it was a thriving market town with dairy, food-processing and textile factories. In 1930, it became the administrative centre of the district which bore the same name. In 1999, Georgian authorities changed the name of the town and district to Ninotsminda (Ниноцминда) after the Georgian saint Nino. The Doukhobor population was depleted by emigration to Russia in the 1990s and 2000s and today the population is primarily Armenian. [41 44' 0" N - 45 17' 30" E]
 

 

 

 
Search Again