Doukhobor Genealogy Website  

The Doukhobor Gazetteer - Search Details

 

Lugovoye

District: Pass Creek
Province: British Columbia
Country: Canada
 
In 1909-1910, Community Doukhobors from Saskatchewan purchased 1,322 acres along the Pass Creek valley of British Columbia. They named the valley Dolina Lugovaya (Долина Луговая) meaning “meadow valley” in Russian. It was later known as Lugovoye (Луговое) meaning “meadow” in Russian. There, they cleared the land, planted fruit orchards, vegetable gardens and hay fields and established three communal villages as well as a planer mill, two sawmills, blacksmith shop, irrigation system, granaries and barns. It had special quarters for Peter "Lordly" Verigin to stay when he visited the area. Pass Creek School was built there in 1922. According to tradition, many of the Doukhobor inhabitants of the area were of Mordvinian (Mordva) ancestry and sang hymns and songs in the Mordvinian language. For this reason, the area was also known as Mordovskoye (Мордовское), meaning (place) “of the Mordva”. Following the demise of the CCUB in 1937-1938, the communal organization gradually declined. By 1961-1963, the CCUB lands were sold, the villages were disbanded and the area name fell into disuse. [District Lot 8640, Kootenay District]
 

 

 

 
Search Again